Good Friday 2020 Meditation

I have been using this poem in Good Friday services for twenty years. I think I wrote it, but am happy to be corrected if that is mis-remembered.


It seems to tie in with the journey of Covid-prompted emotions we have traversed this Holy Week under Lockdown in Auckland, New Zealand. 



A Sword Pierced Soul

Grief cuts deep
A sword piercing the soul
Sharp edged
Flame hot
Searing mind and spirit
Dividing reality
Piercing the soul

The old man saw it coming thirty years ago
When we brought our little one to the temple
His rheumy eyes sparked with recognition
As he saw in the Spirit what God had in mind
Now I can die in peace
For I have seen the salvation of the Lord
Yeshua was only a few weeks old
Skin still womb-warm
Eyes still hazy
Hands still clutching my robe
Mouth still pursed for mother's milk


Joseph and I marvelled at the possibilities
Spoken of so surely by the ancient seer
The baby seemed so helpless - could he bring such hope?
Yet we knew - he had come no ordinary way
My body swelled to announce his coming before I knew a man
Joseph had his doubts - but with God's help he trusted
The angels had prophesied greatness
Told shepherds of his princely purpose
Now in the temple a widow gave thanks to God
and Simeon divined astonishing possibility
A light to lighten the Gentiles
and to be the glory of your people Israel
But then his countenance dimmed
And a sword will pierce your own soul, he predicted
The image shafted through my breast
A sword in my soul

I never forgot his warning
As we watched our son grow from cheeky childhood
through haughty adolescence and on
to a place beside his father in the workshop.
He was a willing craftsman,
more than ever when Joseph was gone
He stayed on till the family were grown
and the others could serve at the sawbench.

When he started travelling
I followed as far as I could
Not just on the journeys
but in the movements of his mind.
I didn’t always catch his meaning
His brothers too, longed to understand
But his message was a mystery
The Saviour who must serve - and suffer
The shadow of the sword hung over him

I didn't want him to go to the city
Somehow I knew that was where it would end

But he was determined
It was his destiny
Relentlessly he pursued his purpose

John took me to Golgotha
After the soldiers had done their worst
He hung so limp - and yet still found the words for me
Mother, this is your son, he whispered
John to be my old-age caregiver,
Me to have his friend for my comfort
Then I saw it - the soldier's spear
Raised high and levelled at his hanging corpse
Then thrust into his bedraggled side

A sword shall pierce your soul - the words returned
and grief seared through a mother's heart,
Its only hope in God.

Comments

  1. Wonderfully articulated, Vivi-Anne. I'm glad to hear from you, it's great in Mexico right now (Come visit!). Shalini gives her best wishes! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff amigo. i have alzheimers. good stuff amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sup viv. alboh here, luvved ur poem

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment